Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Wiki Freedom: Who Needs Encyclopedias Anymore?

          Do we still use encyclopedias to conduct research? I was thinking this as I read this week. I thought back to my college experience, and the even farther back to my high school research experience as Hunt did. From what I can remember, I do not recall even picking up an actual encyclopedia in college. My only memories of using encyclopedias are from my high school years when we would have to use World Book for Global Studies research. The article by Hunt and Hunt (2006) resonated with me because even as my high school days came to an end, Wikipedia was the new way to find the "quick and dirty" information we needed to start our research. Even when I was a student teacher, I knew my students would look at Wikipedia to conduct online research. I made it clear that the site was acceptable as a starting point, much like how Richardson discussed teachers' uses of Wikipedia, but that it was not to be their only source of information. The Hunt article brought up some concerns and implications that I believe we all have to consider in our own classrooms (when we get them) because by the time students get to us (assuming I am teaching high school) they will be well versed in using multi-modal resources and Web 2.0 materials. Especially for me in a Social Studies class that conducts research frequently at the high school level, monitoring information and plagiarism seems to be getting harder and harder to do.

To discuss the use of Wikis in the classroom, I think that using them in a controlled manner, meaning through a site that is password protected and watchable by a teacher, should be encouraged in school districts. Using them across content areas as well could provide an enrichment experience for students that could not be provided within classroom walls. Furthermore, it gives the shy and quiet students the opportunity to use their written voice in editing and sharing information online. In our CNYRC seminar this past weekend, I sat in on a Collaborative Writing in the 21st Century lesson, where a teacher demonstrated how she had students using wikis in small groups to write their own stories. Students from different classes could work together online at the same time and chat about what to write while they were writing it. I believe the site was through Blackboard.

As teachers, we need to be willing to dedicate time to using the read/write web as an extention of the classroom, not just for the sake of writing a wiki or blog.

The wiki I followed this week was actually a wiki on the Twilight Series (I am reading it for my Adolescent Literature class). I found it simply by typing in 'wiki list' to Google, channeling though Ask.com, and it brought me to a list of popular wikis. It linked me to http://entertainment.wikia.com/wiki/Wikia_Entertainment and listed the most popular and featured wikis the site has. Each book in the series has its own link, and when you click on one, the page resembles the set-up of Wikipedia. Furthermore, it gives people the ability to search for other wikis of interest. As I followed the Twilight wiki I was most impressed with the amount of interactive content it contained. It is not just information sharing, but it links to blogs, comments, photos, videos, Twitter, Facebook, and Youtube. This made me realize that wikis are not just informational like encyclopedias, but interactive and collaborative spaces that open doors to related information that you might not even think to be related at first glance.

Twilight Wiki

7 comments:

  1. I totally know the World Book, and I, too, haven’t referred to it since high school. In college, during my early years, I remember going to the stacks to get journals to photo copy. Those days are long gone, and we need to prepare our students accordingly. I like your point (and Richardson’s) of using Wikipedia as a starting point. I often do when I am over my head in some educational theoretical perspective because I know I can find reader friendly definitions on Wikipedia. It’s interesting isn’t it, our research process? You raise some really interesting points in an eloquent way.

    One more thing, I encourage you to check out this new 2.0 tool called Glogster. I think it may be especially useful in the content areas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't used an encyclopedia since middle school. We used it to complete "busy work". I'm not a fan (there is definitely better ways to find information).
    I definitely agree that if wikis are used in the classroom, they should be password protected and easy for the teacher to monitor.
    Haha I can't believe you followed the Twilight wiki, I didn't even know this existed. Its really good! I like that its updates a lot and has some good information. Yes I am/was a sucker for Twilight, and yes, I unfortunately will go see the movies because I feel I have to after reading the books. Plus, a lot of my students are into it so I can talk with them about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember I did a lesson on using a thesaurus which I thought would be fun and allow students to come in contact with synonyms for "Dead Vocabulary" - talk about a total bomb! Those dusty thesauruses didn't stand a chance with my students. If I had known about Wordle and podcasting I could have impacted my students vocabulary in a more engaging way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you enjoyed Twilight!! I don't ever recall using an encyclopedia in school either but my mom always references it because she used it growing up. Its crazy that something like an encyclopedia, which was a staple of education and research, is out of style. EVERYTHING that you used to search for in books is online. Even wikipedia has information about the newest trends and topics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That last post is from me (Lindsey) I could not figure out how to post because I do not have a blogspot blog! Any tips?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This past weekend I was at my parents house and in the donation pile I saw the encyclopedias my parents bought for us kids when we young. I chuckled at how old they looked, and asked my dad why he was getting rid of them. He stated "they are just collecting dust, why would I use them when I can just google it." I found it funny that even my 70 year old father has adapted to the times, but somehow some educators still feel the need to continue teaching the way they were taught. Some wonder why their is a gap between achievement and ability. Make learning relevant!

    ReplyDelete